Popular Topics(Views)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 4 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Isn't it a bit silly not to offer MP3 downloads of Airwolf Extended Themes? #4673
28/03/14 10:23 PM
28/03/14 10:23 PM
UK
K
Keffa Offline OP
Little Wolf
Keffa  Offline OP
Little Wolf
K
UK
Evening all,

I was just curious what is behind the utterly crazy logic not to offer MP3 downloads of the new AET? It boggles the mind!

I simply do not want a CD, irrespective of how limited edition it is. In fact, while it doesn't really have relevance, in my current situation I actually have no means of playing a CD as my laptop does not have a CD-ROM and I do not own any audio equipment beyond devices that work purely with MP3's or equivalent such as my phone or MP3 player.

While I am led to understand MP3 downloads are coming, surely any considerable delay is going to frustrate is frustrating those of us who just want the awesome music, less the plastic? And dare I suggest, someone somewhere who is comfortable with the words "Rip" and "Torrent" may (Or probably will) decide to get in on the act first?

So can I please make a respectful plea to those whom it concerns, downloads would be appreciated sooner rather than later so those of us who just want to stick the awesome music on their ipod and relive the Saturday afternoons of their youth may do so. Thank's very much! thumbs

Re: Isn't it a bit silly not to offer MP3 downloads of AET? [Re: Keffa] #4674
29/03/14 03:49 PM
29/03/14 03:49 PM
Canada
W
Wolf873 Offline
Test Pilot
Wolf873  Offline
Test Pilot
W
Canada
Mark has addressed this before. It's to do it the classic way. Plus there are many perks included with the physical release. Although they can be attached via pdf etc, it's just a different feeling having to own hard copies. Physical copies will always have some inherent value, which makes them all the more fun to own. Besides I'm certain there are costs to consider too when investing in a project like this, and being reimbursed since this is not a grand release like many musical numbers, it's more private. And I am certain same measures would be taken to avoid piracy as with previous release, which I must hand it to him. He is thorough :0 though I still see few torrents pop up now and then, which sadly is too hard to eliminate altogether.

Last edited by Wolf873; 29/03/14 03:50 PM.
Re: Isn't it a bit silly not to offer MP3 downloads of AET? [Re: Wolf873] #4675
29/03/14 05:15 PM
29/03/14 05:15 PM
Missouri, United States
W
whiskeylima5 Offline
Pilot
whiskeylima5  Offline
Pilot
W
Missouri, United States
While I understand the desire for digital downloads, I agree that a physical archival quality release is better for a number of reasons. First, it is a true collectible in that it is a physical object. I prefer somerthing tangible over just bits on mass storage device. Second, the cost involved needs to be recovered. It is easier to charge 30 ukp or 50 usd for a collectible CD with quality packaging and liner notes than to break even, much less profit from ala carte downloads. It also has some exclusivity with the limited pressing which is nice. Digital downloads are ubiquitous now, and there is little value in that.

Besides, if one has access to a computer of any sort you can rip the CD easy enough and make your own mp3 copies even if you need to buy or borrow a USB cd drive. That raises another point. Mp3 is lossy as is AAC. While both seem to satisfy the listening needs of most people, a landmark project like AET deserves an uncompromised release in full digital glory. I know Mark has his reasons for doing it this way and trust that he will eventually offer digital downloads. However, for now I appreciate that he has chosen to offer a premium product, which I think is the proper treatment for a soundtrack project.

Companies like Intrada do limited release soundtrack CDs and never offer digital downloads even after the pressing is sold out. And that is another point. Mark could easily have done a second pressing of the original album as there was money to be made there (witness the outrageous prices on ebay). To his credit he chose to remain true to the limited edition nature of the original release. I imagine it was difficult to see copies selling for several hundred usd and not want to make a second run so he could profit handsomely. As an owner of the original 1999 release, I wouldn't have faulted him for having another go at it even if it reduced the putative (inflated) value of the cd I purchased.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Kevin

One billion dollars Senator, give or take a few cents.
Re: Isn't it a bit silly not to offer MP3 downloads of AET? [Re: Keffa] #4676
29/03/14 07:33 PM
29/03/14 07:33 PM
USA
B
Bill Offline
Redwolf Pilot
Bill  Offline
Redwolf Pilot
B
USA
Call me old fashion if you wish, but I like having the physical copy in my hand. I have something in my hand that I paid for.

It's hard to believe that someone doesn't have a cd player or a "boom box" or a computer with a cd rom in this day and age. jawdrop

Re: Isn't it a bit silly not to offer MP3 downloads of AET? [Re: whiskeylima5] #4677
29/03/14 09:22 PM
29/03/14 09:22 PM
UK
K
Keffa Offline OP
Little Wolf
Keffa  Offline OP
Little Wolf
K
UK
I respect most people would prefer the plastic but at the end of the day it doesn't really address the issue for those of us who want it in digital form and *why* they want it in digital form.

If margins are an issue why not just offer the album in digital form for the same price as the CD, either in MP3, or if you really want to be picky about the quality, FLAC. Most of us who want it in digital form will happily pay for it. Let's face it folks, this music is something of a niche and those of us who want it well they want it because they "really" want it.

Those of you who might consider it strange that I don't have a device that plays CD's, to that I say it's actually not that unusual. I haven't used a CD/DVD of any description in nearly four years. I am a soldier so I move about a lot so I have no use for a sound system too big to put in your pocket. Most software purchases now come as downloads or on USB drives or memory cards, I have purchased all my music through a store of some description either as MP3 or FLAC. Even my film consumption is via netflix and similar.

As it is, I have thrown in the towel and purchased the CD, accepting that I will just have to wait until I am in a position to both collect and then rip the CD to my iPod which won't be for some time and I will have to purchase a drive to play it with.

But let's be pragmatic about this. From a cursory glance the original "Airwolf Themes" has at the time I wrote this no less than thirty two torrents on page 1 of a well know aggregator all of which appear to be healthy. The AET CD *WILL* end up on a torrent site, it's virtually guaranteed.

And when someone less scrupulous than me, who really wants the music and cares a little less about how hard Mark worked to put it AET together, when that person comes along and decides they want the music, you can bet your life on it they are going to hit that torrent hard. You might argue that that person wouldn't have paid for a digital download anyway, but if they haven't got the option to, how would you ever know?

Re: Isn't it a bit silly not to offer MP3 downloads of AET? [Re: Keffa] #4678
29/03/14 11:01 PM
29/03/14 11:01 PM
USA
B
Bill Offline
Redwolf Pilot
Bill  Offline
Redwolf Pilot
B
USA
Originally Posted by Keffa

And when someone less scrupulous than me, who really wants the music and cares a little less about how hard Mark worked to put it AET together, when that person comes along and decides they want the music, you can bet your life on it they are going to hit that torrent hard. You might argue that that person wouldn't have paid for a digital download anyway, but if they haven't got the option to, how would you ever know?

Well, this is the digital age and that means, as the clich goes-"big brother is watching you".

Re: Isn't it a bit silly not to offer MP3 downloads of AET? [Re: Keffa] #4679
30/03/14 01:23 PM
30/03/14 01:23 PM
Lodz, Poland
Jan Michal Szulew Offline
Orchestrator & Associate Producer
Jan Michal Szulew  Offline
Orchestrator & Associate Producer
Lodz, Poland
Please understand that getting the music as "digital downloads" requires additional amount of logistics and paperwork to handle. Mark is pretty much doing this himself and right now he is swamped with processing the orders for the CDs. To make both formats available simultaneously the CD release would have suffered additional delay.

Jan Michal Szulew
Orchestrator & Associate Producer, Airwolf Themes
[Linked Image]
Re: Isn't it a bit silly not to offer MP3 downloads of AET? [Re: Jan Michal Szulew] #4680
01/04/14 12:43 AM
01/04/14 12:43 AM
Northern Ireland, UK
Mark J.Cairns Offline
The Alpha Wolf
Mark J.Cairns  Offline
The Alpha Wolf
Northern Ireland, UK
Pretty much exactly what he said ^^

whiteflag

Mark J.Cairns
Producer, Airwolf Themes CD soundtracks

WEB-SITE - https://airwolfthemes.com/
OFFICIAL VIDEOS for Airwolf Themes Soundtracks - https://www.youtube.com/user/markjcairns
OFFICIAL BLOG for Airwolf Themes Soundtracks - https://airwolfthemes.blogspot.co.uk/
Join us on FACEBOOK - https://facebook.com/airwolf.themes

Buy 'Airwolf Extended Themes' 2CD at Amazon UK: https://amzn.to/1dBEAVr
Buy 'Airwolf' 4 season box-set on HD Blu-ray: https://airwolfthemes.com/buy-airwolf-dvds-from-amazon.html
Re: Isn't it a bit silly not to offer MP3 downloads of AET? [Re: Mark J.Cairns] #4681
01/04/14 02:04 AM
01/04/14 02:04 AM
Missouri, United States
W
whiskeylima5 Offline
Pilot
whiskeylima5  Offline
Pilot
W
Missouri, United States
Mark,

No need to wave the white flag. While I understand the original poster's issue with the release format (he does have unique circumstances certainly) it isn't possible to make everyone 100 percent happy. That we are getting this in any form is almost beyond belief. A completely new, professionally produced soundtrack for a tv show that is nearly 3 decades old is not something one would ever expect to see. Only through the dedication and talent of both yourself and Jan has this come to fruition.

I am wondering: are you emailing tracking data for shipments as they go out? I haven't seen any notification so didn't know if you were doing this or not. Would be nice to know the status, but I certainly understand if this is too much extra work to provide.

Kevin

Re: Isn't it a bit silly not to offer MP3 downloads of AET? [Re: whiskeylima5] #4682
01/04/14 05:02 AM
01/04/14 05:02 AM
Canada
W
Wolf873 Offline
Test Pilot
Wolf873  Offline
Test Pilot
W
Canada
Originally Posted by whiskeylima5
Mark,

No need to wave the white flag. While I understand the original poster's issue with the release format (he does have unique circumstances certainly) it isn't possible to make everyone 100 percent happy. That we are getting this in any form is almost beyond belief. A completely new, professionally produced soundtrack for a tv show that is nearly 3 decades old is not something one would ever expect to see. Only through the dedication and talent of both yourself and Jan has this come to fruition.

I am wondering: are you emailing tracking data for shipments as they go out? I haven't seen any notification so didn't know if you were doing this or not. Would be nice to know the status, but I certainly understand if this is too much extra work to provide.

Kevin

Yes he is. The PayPal information gets updated with tracking info once he uploads it smile

Thank you Mark and Jan!

Re: Isn't it a bit silly not to offer MP3 downloads of AET? [Re: Wolf873] #4683
01/04/14 10:03 PM
01/04/14 10:03 PM
USA
B
Bill Offline
Redwolf Pilot
Bill  Offline
Redwolf Pilot
B
USA
Originally Posted by Wolf873

Yes he is. The PayPal information gets updated with tracking info once he uploads it smile

Thank you Mark and Jan!

Darn! I guess my order hasn't shipped yet.

Re: Isn't it a bit silly not to offer MP3 downloads of AET? [Re: Bill] #4684
02/04/14 02:15 AM
02/04/14 02:15 AM
Missouri, United States
W
whiskeylima5 Offline
Pilot
whiskeylima5  Offline
Pilot
W
Missouri, United States
Not to gloat, but my 2 are in the pipeline. Still shows it is in the UK as of tonight. I am patiently awaiting an update, and only hope the paranoid morons here in the US don't hold it up on entry. No matter how long - or short - it takes, the wait is killing me.

Guess I need to rewatch some eps while I am awaiting delivery.

KDirk

Re: Isn't it a bit silly not to offer MP3 downloads of AET? [Re: whiskeylima5] #4685
02/04/14 02:53 AM
02/04/14 02:53 AM
Canada
W
Wolf873 Offline
Test Pilot
Wolf873  Offline
Test Pilot
W
Canada
Originally Posted by whiskeylima5
Not to gloat, but my 2 are in the pipeline. Still shows it is in the UK as of tonight. I am patiently awaiting an update, and only hope the paranoid morons here in the US don't hold it up on entry. No matter how long - or short - it takes, the wait is killing me.

Guess I need to rewatch some eps while I am awaiting delivery.

KDirk

I feel your pain mate. I actually just finished watching an episode laugh

Re: Isn't it a bit silly not to offer MP3 downloads of AET? [Re: Keffa] #4716
15/08/14 05:19 PM
15/08/14 05:19 PM
Cape Coral, Florida
Mike Offline

Global Moderator
Mike  Offline

Global Moderator
Cape Coral, Florida
It's Mark's call, plain and simple.

That being said, sooner or later the traditional physical-product route will no longer be viable for anyone, so it is what it is.

And, for the record, I'd far prefer to see releases in FLAC, which I can then transcode into some other format for device compatibility.

Mike

“The only thing we have to fear is Season 4 itself!”

Moderated by  Mark J.Cairns, MJC 

BUY the official 'Airwolf Extended Themes' 2CD Soundtrack now. CLICK HERE