Popular Topics(Views)
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 2 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Dr. Moffett's motives #4245
17/01/12 03:44 PM
17/01/12 03:44 PM
Maryland, USA
M
MoffettRules Offline OP
Pilot
MoffettRules  Offline OP
Pilot
M
Maryland, USA
Painfully little was described about Dr. Charles Henry Moffett and it's sad because Airwolf wouldn't exist at all without him. I decided to take what little is known about this mad genius and try to piece together a picture of Airwolf's beginnings. Now, about me...I've spent 22 years in the US Army and 10 years as a civilian contractor, and I've been involved in my share of "secret squirrel" or black world projects and I know how a person can be rear-ended over high-level contracts, having ideas stolen, etc. Since I am an electrical engineer building hi-tech machines these days, I have developed an affinity toward Dr. Moffett. I just ordered an Airwolf novel by Ron Renauld at Mark Cairns suggestion, but haven't received it yet. I have a working theory about why Dr. Moffett snapped, but before I share it, I would like to hear from others who also have a theory. By the way, casting David Hemmings as Dr. Moffett was a stroke of genuius (no pun intended). So sad he has since passed away.

"The wolf has come down from the north, and your fat little town is safe no longer"
Re: Dr. Moffett's motives [Re: MoffettRules] #4247
17/01/12 09:39 PM
17/01/12 09:39 PM
West Midlands
GregWolf Offline
Redwolf Pilot
GregWolf  Offline
Redwolf Pilot
West Midlands
Dr Moffett provided a dark contrast to the dark world of Stringfellow Hawke. The idea of Airwolf is cited as coming from Don Bellisario's Magnum episode in season 8 Two Birds of A Feather and then from other works which were not commissioned. Moreover, the end result of Bellisario's ideas became Airwolf.

A lot of characters had biblical references such as Gabrielle and Archangel. The creation of Dr Moffett's dark character could be more Roman Empire centred like Julius Ceasar. I wont say any more for now, as it is merely my own theory.

"See you on the ice"(Henrik Hansen, Holby City, 2011).

Re: Dr. Moffett's motives [Re: GregWolf] #4264
31/01/12 02:44 PM
31/01/12 02:44 PM
Maryland, USA
M
MoffettRules Offline OP
Pilot
MoffettRules  Offline OP
Pilot
M
Maryland, USA
I just received and read the Airwolf novel by Ron Renauld. I concentrated mainly on Dr. Moffet. The book was based on the pilot episodes (that had already been released) so as you can imagine, it was very close to the movie script, with a few extra lines thrown in. Ron Renauld's vision of Moffet was one of a sociopathic killer, even back during Project Proteus. I guess since he was the first to write the Airwolf novel, it gave him poetic license to a large extent. It also become obvious that he had no idea (and couldn't have possible known) of the later episode, "Moffet's Ghost", where Moffet is painted not as a sexual deviant, but as a disgruntled scientist with money issues. Therefore, I have a problem with Renauld's Dr. Moffet. Of course, this is no fault of Renauld...this deviation lies squarely in the hands of the series producers error in continuity. Since the Airwolf series itself suggested another motive behind Moffet's attitude, I think it's fair game to offer an alternate explanation of this tortured genius. Many questions remain unanswered, for example, where did Moffet learn his expert marksmanship skills? What was Project Proteus about? Did Moffet and Hawke ever meet? Obviously yes, but what were their interactions like?

Last edited by MoffettRules; 31/01/12 02:54 PM.

"The wolf has come down from the north, and your fat little town is safe no longer"
Re: Dr. Moffett's motives [Re: MoffettRules] #4318
02/04/12 10:37 PM
02/04/12 10:37 PM
Cape Coral, Florida
Mike Offline

Global Moderator
Mike  Offline

Global Moderator
Cape Coral, Florida
Hmm... Well, MoffettRules and GregWolf, I'd like to chime in here, if you don't have any objections.

Now, I tried to do this cold, but I just couldn't remember the details, so I'm re-watching that bit of the Pilot with the conversation between Michael and the senator. Here's the relevant snippet of that dialog.

Originally Posted by Airwolf Pilot Episode
SENATOR DIETZ: If Airwolf can "kick [naughty-policed]" like [Marella] says it can, you've developed yourself a tactical weapon. But, that's not the firm's mission.

ARCHANGEL: No, sir, it's not. But when the project started 20 years ago after the Bay of Pigs, The Firm's priorities were a little different. And as the years progressed...

DIETZ: And the project grew. Now you've got topsy, and what are you going to do with it? You can only keep the lid on testing and development for so long. And if The Firm puts Airwolf in the field, it'll leak to Congress in a week. And, they won't take kindly to The Firm's developing secret tactical weapons.

ARCHANGEL: That's why The Firm would like to turn this prototype over to the Department of Defense and let them take credit for it.

DIETZ: In exchange for?

ARCHANGEL: Reimbursement of development costs, and the first five Airwolfs off the production line.

DIETZ: Talk to me in dollars and cents.

ARCHANGEL: A billion dollars, senator. Give or take a few cents.

Well, let's start with the basics.

First off, the man is a serial murderer (and rapist, if I'm remember correctly). He is also someone with a very high I.Q., which follows if the man is a combination aeronautical engineer, computer systems designer, and test pilot. My guess is he had been someone else's "little darling" at some point, eventually taking up residence with The Firm when they needed someone to head up (or, at least, get things done with) the Airwolf project.

There's a generally-accepted convention that many high-I.Q. people suffer from deficits in other areas (take a look at Sheldon from Big Bang Theory, for instance) but it's pretty obvious in this case he is seriously into control and manipulation of others.

If he can kill, particularly outside of a combat or self-defense situation, and keep on working and generally "being happy" then that suggests a sociopath. If that's the case, then it also explains why he doesn't really care what it takes to keep control of what he's got. Best guess is that the Airwolf project may be all that really matters to him.

I'm thinking that, behind the scenes, The Firm has really had to stroke the man's ego a lot, because I doubt he's really ultimately as concerned about "the money" as he is about his status and personal importance. No doubt there's been one or more meetings at which he's said something along the lines of "because I'm Charles Henry F**king Moffett, that's why!"

If I were looking for a character to pattern him after today, I might pattern him somewhat after Dr. Gaius Baltar from the new Battlestar Galactica series, though I would definitely ramp up the ego (and a few other things).

Alright, so he learns at some point that the Airwolf project is going to be handed over to the DoD. And, as you can see in the above dialog, Archangel is not ashamed to admit he'll willingly let them "take credit" for it. Betcha that's gotta really rub Moffett the wrong way. So, he hits upon the idea of stealing Airwolf and selling development and production rights to the highest bidder, which of course in this case turns out to be none other than Muammar Gaddafi of Libya. Mister Pineapple Face himself.

And, as far as what we see in Moffett's Ghost, my guess is that's the ultimate f***ing and power trip for him, knowing he's able to blackmail the whole of the U.S. Government at that point (at least in theory, assuming he hadn't yet died).

So, thoughts and theories, gentlemen? Feel free to shoot me down, or to even just to make modifications. I'd really be interested to hear from the perspective of someone who's been "in the trenches".

Mike

“The only thing we have to fear is Season 4 itself!”
Re: Dr. Moffett's motives [Re: Mike] #4320
04/04/12 11:22 AM
04/04/12 11:22 AM
NY, U.S.
billybob Offline
Redwolf Pilot
billybob  Offline
Redwolf Pilot
NY, U.S.
Moffett, ingenius! In my opinion he didn't break the LAW, merely interpreted it to his liking. He's like an Einstein without an actual invention, streching the truth thats already been there, so 'normal'. STOP creativity from taking a life unto its own, hence species the movie...

"SHADOW OF THE HAWKE"
Re: Dr. Moffett's motives [Re: Mike] #4327
09/04/12 10:04 PM
09/04/12 10:04 PM
West Midlands
GregWolf Offline
Redwolf Pilot
GregWolf  Offline
Redwolf Pilot
West Midlands
Dr Moffett was "A Twisted Genius,"(Stringfellow Hawke, Moffett's Ghost, 1985).

Personal gain and control was Moffett's motive and opportunity. Self Indulgence and sexual domination over-ruled his logic and science. Ultimately, his downfall.

I personally felt that Moffett's Ghost could have reappeared after Season 2 - as you see the control panel re-light at the end of the episode. Even the low budget season 4 could have seen a Malduke and Moffett collaberation. There were subtle overtones. If there had been the correct budget and actual Airwolf helicopter that season could have been the renaisance of Airwolf!

See what you all think.

Re: Dr. Moffett's motives [Re: GregWolf] #4347
05/06/12 11:54 PM
05/06/12 11:54 PM
Maryland, USA
M
MoffettRules Offline OP
Pilot
MoffettRules  Offline OP
Pilot
M
Maryland, USA
"There's a generally-accepted convention that many high-I.Q. people suffer from deficits in other areas ..."

Absolutely! I agree. Look at Jim Moriarty (BBC's Sherlock). To me, this is the very essence of genius. It's a requirement; comes with the territory.

Re: Dr. Moffett's motives [Re: MoffettRules] #4353
08/06/12 02:46 PM
08/06/12 02:46 PM
Northern Ireland, UK
SuperWolf3000 Offline
Redwolf Pilot
SuperWolf3000  Offline
Redwolf Pilot
Northern Ireland, UK
Interesting and fresh insight into Moffett.

The fact that he also long for saw he would one day loose control of Airwolf he made sure his machine wouldn't be used as a tool for the government. Hence the ghost program in Moffett's Ghost.

The only thing he couldn't predict was The Firm getting Hawke back on board, when you think about it, Moffett covered most angles when he stole it. He made on fatal mistake, he forgot about his test pilot Stringfellow Hawke!.

That was his only mistake really, up to that point he got away with it. He didn't count on Hawke showing up.

Re: Dr. Moffett's motives [Re: SuperWolf3000] #4391
25/07/12 11:50 PM
25/07/12 11:50 PM
Cape Coral, Florida
Mike Offline

Global Moderator
Mike  Offline

Global Moderator
Cape Coral, Florida
So, do we want to tackle writing a fresh treatment of Airwolf, then? Short story? Fanfic full-length novel? Script?

*gee, I wonder where we could find the theme music*

Mike

“The only thing we have to fear is Season 4 itself!”
Re: Dr. Moffett's motives [Re: Mike] #4401
20/08/12 11:27 PM
20/08/12 11:27 PM
united states
airwolf987654321 Offline
Redwolf Pilot
airwolf987654321  Offline
Redwolf Pilot
united states
moffett was always a nutty person anyways he did it for his onw twisted ways thats why he did what he did it was his own motives and no one elses. he wanted only his own goals whatever they may have been.

Re: Dr. Moffett's motives [Re: airwolf987654321] #4437
22/11/12 08:17 AM
22/11/12 08:17 AM
UK
Charlie Offline
Pilot
Charlie  Offline
Pilot
UK
Pretty much agree with everything here about Moffet's motives. I'd like to add that I think Charles loved his position as leader of the Airwolf project; he enjoyed the adulation and power that this brought him; and he enjoyed giving out the orders. And he was always right! Whenever there were problems Moffet could always sort them out and get things back on track. He was always right and never wrong. This must have fired his arrogance (that whenever he made a decision it was always the correct one.) Everyone licked his boots too because of this.
When the Airwolf project was drawing to a close Moffet must have felt like he was going to lose power. So he dreamt up a scheme where he would take Airwolf and live like a king in Libya. Hell, perhaps with Airwolf he could make his own kingdom and be another north African dictator! This plan could not fail because, up to now, Moffet was always right.
As to his marksmanship, I guess that Charlie-boy must have been a member of a gun club. Perhaps he was a redcoat horseman in his native Surrey? (I presume Moffet comes from Surrey, England!) Not a million miles from me.

Add to all this the fact that Moffet was always a bit of a bad egg and nasty person even from a young age. He would put a magnifying glass to his friend's neck and watch his skin burn and he would tear the legs off crane flies. But he always did brilliantly at exams! He was one of those guys who did little revision but somehow always got top marks. Everything was just toooo easy...

Well, two out of three isn't bad!
Re: Dr. Moffett's motives [Re: MoffettRules] #4597
11/10/13 07:46 PM
11/10/13 07:46 PM
Maryland, USA
M
MoffettRules Offline OP
Pilot
MoffettRules  Offline OP
Pilot
M
Maryland, USA
I read the Airwolf novel by Ron Renauld. The book was clearly written after the filming because it referenced too many nuances from the film. I did NOT, however, like his version of Dr. Moffet. He made Moffet out to be an out-of-control, two-dimensional, sex-crazed psychopath without even attempting to explore his engineering genius behind the creation of Airwolf. In fact, Renauld never touch that aspect of it. In order to appreciate such a character, you really must dive into the psyche behind the man. Understand where his genius sprang from; what drove his insanity and feelings of revenge; where he learned his marksmanship skills; how good of a test pilot he was, and explore the drive and reasoning behind his desire to control and abuse women. I have devoted a great deal of thought behind each one of these questions. To me, Dr. Moffet deserved more that what he received in terms of character development. Dr. Moffet is a major character in Airwolf, not some throw-away second thought to build a series premise on. I am myself an engineer. If the right person is reading this, please know that if this comic is ever created, I would love to be an advisor to the Moffet character. I can give him depth and meaning.

Moderated by  Mark J.Cairns, MJC 

BUY the official 'Airwolf Extended Themes' 2CD Soundtrack now. CLICK HERE